Orecchiette alla Barese by Gianni Gagnier
- Categorized in: Food and Drink
• 2 large heads of broccoli
• 4 garlic cloves, minced
• 3 table spoons of extra-virgin olive oil
• 6 oil-packed anchovy fillets
• 1 small dried red chili
• 1 lb orecchiette, cavatelli or other pasta
• salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
• grated Parmesan or pecorino cheese, and cream
Clean and coarsely chop the broccoli. Add the broccoli to a lightly salted suacepan of boiling water and cook for about 5- 10 minutes until it is tender. Set the pan of broccoli aside, but keep it warm.
In a separate pan, gently sauté the garlic in the olive oil until it is soft, then melt in the anchovy fillets by crushing them in the garlicky oil with a fork. Add the red chili pepper and stir and mix well. Add the garlic-pepper oil into the broccoli and mix add 2 tablespoons of cream and mix well.
Cook the pasta in lightly salted boiling water until done. Drain the pasta and immediately combine with the sauce (in cooking pan if large enough). Season by adding pepper and grated chese.